Dr. Vastardis Offers Thorough Oral Cancer Screenings
Many patients are worried about cavities, gum disease, and tooth loss – but what about oral cancer? The statistics surrounding this condition are truly staggering including:
- Over 30,000 Americans each year are diagnosed with oral cancer.
- Only a little over 50% of patients diagnosed each year will go on to live five more years.
- 25% of patients diagnosed with oral cancer didn't participate in any of the common risk factors, such as heavy smoking and/or drinking.
So what can you do to better protect yourself from the threat of oral cancer? The real danger of this condition is that cases usually aren’t diagnosed until they’ve already caused irredeemable damage resulting in a poor outlook for patients. At Garden City Dentistry, our team provides oral cancer screenings as a vital part of routine check-ups. With the help of state-of-the-art VELscope technology, Dr. Peter Vastardis can locate diseased tissue at the earliest stages for patients from Franklin Square and surrounding areas, greatly increasing your chances of a successful recovery. Contact our Garden City, NY practice today to schedule an appointment!
How Does VELscope Work?
Instead of having to rely on only a traditional visual exam, our team can utilize the fluorescence of VELscope to locate cancerous and even precancerous areas. The blue light will be passed over your mouth, and healthy soft tissue will absorb it. Problematic spots appear darker allowing Dr. Vastardis to observe them more closely. The procedure only takes a few minutes, and patients remain completely comfortable throughout.
Common symptoms of oral cancer that patients keep an eye out for on their own including the following:
- Mouth sores that bleed easily and heal slowly
- Red or white patches of tissue
- Lumps or crusted areas within the mouth
- Tongue discomfort
- Difficulty with chewing and/or swallowing
- A constant feeling that something is stuck in the throat